Construction to Begin on the Ben Sawyer Intracoastal Water Main Connection Project
December 30, 2020
On Monday, January 4, 2021, work will begin on the Ben Sawyer Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) Water Main Connection Project. Authorized crews will work in the project area Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., weather permitting. The anticipated completion timeframe for the project is Summer 2021.
Residents, businesses, and the traveling public can expect the following traffic control activities to begin on January 4, 2021. All dates and activities are weather dependent.
January 4 – 19, 2021 Schedule of Activities
- Crews will begin by widening the asphalt on the east side of Ben Sawyer Boulevard across the street from Simmons Pointe to Cove Bay Lane in preparation for temporary traffic pattern changes.
- Crews will also install traffic control measures (concrete barriers, traffic barrels) on the east and west sides of Ben Sawyer Boulevard from Center Street to Toler’s Cove Marina.
- Crews will then start to install base course for a temporary access road on the west side of Ben Sawyer Boulevard from Simmons Pointe to Cove Bay Lane. Residents of The Watch at Sullivan’s Pointe, Simmons Pointe, and Sawyers Landing will utilize the temporary road to access Ben Sawyer Boulevard.
- Once all traffic control measures are constructed and in place, the traveling public will be directed to follow the temporary traffic plan for approximately five (5) months.
- The bike and pedestrian multi-use path located on Ben Sawyer Boulevard from Center Street to Toler’s Cove Drive will be closed for approximately six (6) months to maximize the safety of the public and work crews during construction.
Access to residential homes and businesses will be maintained throughout the project. Drivers in the project area are asked to be aware of equipment, crews and changing traffic patterns throughout the project. Please refer to the Traffic Control Plan for designated traffic pattern changes and alternative routes.
Project updates and supporting materials can be found on the Mount Pleasant Waterworks project web page at https://www.mountpleasantwaterworks.com/capital-program/ben-sawyer-icw-water-main